Our Regional Hearts programme was launched alongside our open call for submissions to Staging Places: UK Design for Performance in January 2019.
We wanted to challenge the perception of SBTD as a London centric organisation and make sure that we are
- tapping into and representing diverse pulses of design talent in countries and regions throughout the UK.
- encouraging and supporting designers to take the lead and have their voices heard
- understanding what needs and concerns are common to us all wherever we are based
- aware of skills, talents, needs and assets that are particular to each region or country
- Helping to build communities of practice that offer a support network to students of performance design who are often returning to their home country or region after graduating.
Travelling around the country to meet designers and venue partners willing to support the initiative, SBTD Chair, Fiona Watt found that all doors were open and that designers should feel welcome.
We launched the programme with SOUP – an open invitation from and for designers to come together over a bowl of soup, respond to some key provocations and report back.
Going forward, we will be supporting our Regional Design Champions to shape each Regional Heart, which in turn will shape the future of SBTD.
The most recent phase of this programme saw Staging Places takes up residency at the National Centre for Craft and Design in Sleaford, Lincolnshire in partnership with Regional Heart: East Midlands.
Regional Heart - Wales
Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
Regional Heart - London
Andreas Skourtis and Kate Lane
Regional Heart - Bristol
Bristol Old Vic and Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
Regional Heart - East Midlands
Emma and Giuseppe Belli, Xristina Penna
National Centre for Craft and Design, Nottingham Trent University
Regional Heart - South East
Two Brewers, Chelmsford, Central School of Speech and Drama
Regional Heart - Dundee
Dundee Rep and Edinburgh College of Art
Regional Heart - Leeds
Leeds Playhouse, University of Leeds
Want to get involved with Regional Hearts?
Are you interested in becoming a Design Champion for your region?Get In Touch